This is meant to be a 2-in-1 transit credit card – a first in India – which will facilitate contact-less access for Delhi Metro stations, allowing users ‘tap and go entry’ as well as double up as a credit card.
The card offers the customary benefits, including exclusive shopping deals and discounts, fuel surcharge waivers at Indian oil outlets and other privileges. Reward points earned through different transactions can earn users free Metro rides. The card also comes with an offer of up to 5 free-for-life add-on cards for family members.
Special Privileges on Delhi Metro Citibank Credit Card
– 10% discount on travel fare paid with the “Two-in-One” card
– Two Reward Points for every Rs.100 spent on the Metro, one Reward Point for every Rs 100 spent elsewhere
– Facility for converting all Reward Points into Metro Points for Free Metro Rides (at the POS terminal itself)
– An International Credit Card: accepted at over 14 million merchant outlets, in association with Visa international, across the world
– 2.5% surcharge waiver on IOC petrol pumps
– Access to 24 hour CitiPhone Banking services
– Five free lifetime add-on cards
– Delhi Delights – offers from the best brands of Delhi
With co-branded credit cards becoming the norm nowadays, especially with airlines, it was a matter of time before this type of card was launched, and it gives Citibank access to a decent number of potential users in one go.
Some numbers that were mentioned: Citigroup has about 36 lakh credit card users in the country. Currently, there are over 7.5 lakh commuters who use the Metro smart card, of which 3.5 lakh passengers use it on a daily basis. They expect around 2 lakh commuters to apply for this 2-in-1 credit card.